Re: community garden fee hike

  • Subject: Re: [cg] community garden fee hike
  • From: "Sandy Pernitz" Sandy.Pernitz@Seattle.Gov
  • Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 11:51:29 -0700

Hi all,
We averaged up our plot fees here in Seattle and we are only at about
22 cents per square foot but we pay all their water bills, do property
management, supply various resources, etc...we also work with a
non-profit (p-patch trust) to have plot assistance for those who can not
pay fees...those who can pay more for those who can't do/don't.  We are
a city program funded through general funds, they would never be able to
pay for the whole program through fees your city has to come on board
and see community gardens for all the great benefits that are talked
about on the list everyday...that is your sell .50 cents per square foot
is ridiculous, that would mean $50 for a 100 square foot plot with what
return??? just the space? Seems some real cost analysis of the benefits
of community gardening would be in order a different kind of bottom
line.  Good Luck

Thanks for your time,
Sandy Pernitz
Community Garden Coordinator
P-Patch Program/Dept. of Neighborhoods
"To see the world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower.  Hold
infinity in the palm of your hand and sierenity in an hour."  William
Blake
We have moved! NEW ADDDRESS
Department of Neighborhoods
700 5th Avenue Suite 1700
PO Box 94649
Seattle, WA 98124-4649
sandy.pernitz@seattle.gov
206-684-0284

>>> <yarrow@sfo.com> 10/06 11:13 PM >>>
Hi -- I just heard that our local community garden rates are scheduled
go up from 15 cents a square foot per year to 50 cents -- a rate that
will
be unaffordable for many people in the garden. Low-income discounts
will
also be eliminated. Plots range from 200 to 900 sq. ft.; most are
300-500.
About 160 gardeners IIRC.

It was a stealth move by the city, which decided to raise all
municipal
fees over the summer and was going to spring this surprise on
gardeners
Jan. 1, but somehow the word got out sooner. We pay once a year, so
this
would have been a huge shock. They reportedly researched the average
fee
for community gardens (35 to 45 cents per square foot?) to get closer
"market rate."

A related issue is that the city has had proposals (so far rejected by
taxpayers) to use the land for a parking garage or library expansion,
and
that this may be a way to get rid of any barriers to that use.

Besides getting lots of warm bodies to the next city council meeting
and
sending around a petition, any other suggestions for effectively
fighting
the increase? Success stories? Strategies?

Tanya Kucak