Re: 6th Street & Avenue B Garden responds

  • Subject: Re: [cg] 6th Street & Avenue B Garden responds
  • From: William Hohauser williamhohauser@earthlink.net
  • Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 23:24:11 -0400

I'm glad we have taken the level down a notch.

One of my main imperatives as garden president for the last two years
is to increase community interaction between the garden members and
the community.
While we do a great job with free events, our garden has historically
been poor with other communications. That is being addressed now.
Come down and see some of the signs we have installed. We created a
"Natural History of the LES" sign that could be in a museum. It is
right next to the Ave. B gate. Personally I spearheaded the creation
of a garden brochure which explains the garden and the concept of
community gardens for all the tourists we get here now. It is in it's
finally stages, the whole garden is editing it! We'll have it printed
for the spring.

One person is not a community garden but one person can make or break
a garden at times.

On the issue of LES gardens. I don't know what the story with the LES
is (and I have lived here for 20 years) but a lot of gardens have an
outreach problem. It might have something to do with the large number
of eccentrics around here (and I'm one of them!). I am the first to
admit that there are a small number of prickly personalities in our
garden who come off wrong. They also happen to do a lot of good work.
It's a problem. Fifteen years ago, I was first involved with another
garden that made my wife, child and I unwelcome simply because we had
a child who was a year old! A friend of mine had to stage an
overthrow at another garden just to get a functioning democratic
committee going. Neighborhoods have their character and characters,
the LES for some reason creates defensive sometimes nasty gardeners.

Thanks for your invitation to the meeting. We hold our meetings in
the garden rain or shine on the fourth Sunday of every month when the
weather is warm enough. We always invite other gardens to observe our
brand of democracy and be inspired to create their own version at
their garden. From what I've heard, very few gardens in our vicinity
have a functioning government like your garden or Liz Christy or ours.

As much as I would like to lend a hand on the 15th, I am working in
our garden doing some of the same work. Our maintenance chair had
work issues and was forced to step down last month. As president, I
am filling in the gap until a new chair is elected. Only so much energy.

I don't know how you manage 5000 keyholders much less 500. When our
garden keys get distributed beyond the membership the garden
inevitably gets trashed, badly. We decided to tightly control key
access.

The insurance issue, believe me or not, is true. I talked to Toby
Brant three weeks ago and had the news confirmed by Edie Stone. As I
stated, nobody has told the gardens, I had to call. The reason I
called NOSC was in reaction to the problem at 6BC Garden. In short, a
woman sitting in the garden had her foot crushed by rocks falling off
an unstable wheelbarrow. The garden was not being monitored by a
garden member and the person operating the wheelbarrow was a non-
member volunteer. The 6BC garden is temporarily closed now.

I am now in discussion with NYC Parks about the garden insurance
issue. I'll update the community garden board this week after my
meeting with them.

Until the garden insurance issue is resolved,"When the gate is closed
the garden is closed". It's necessary evil but in the 6 & B Garden
we'll discuss better ways to communicate it.

WIlliam Hohauser
President
6th Street & Avenue B Garden

PS - If I was at the garden when the California visitor showed up and
she identified herself as a fellow gardener, she would have been
allowed in but that's me and I personally would have assumed
responsibility for her.

PPS - Please call me William, just an eccentricity on my part!