NYC Garden Insurance correction

There is no insurance coverage under NOSC as of NOW! This applies to all gardens with the NYC Parks emblem on their gates.

Other gardens should call immediately NOSC or Greenthumb if they have not been presented with a bill for the premium for September 2005 to August 2006.

The last insurance policy ran out at the end of it's term on August 30, 2005. NOSC decided not to extend it's blanket policy insurance program for the gardens due to the fact that it was ruining NOSC's own finances.

Here are the reasons as I understand them:

1) The gardens that had accidents were not reporting them to NOSC who would pass the info on to the insurance carrier. The insurance carriers would learn about lawsuits by being served. This is a violation of the policy as signed by NOSC. NOSC had no control over the gardens' reporting yet was responsible for it.

2) There were several lawsuits against gardens over the past few years that resulted in the garden policy being dropped by different insurance carriers. NOSC did a commendable job getting new insurance coverage but it taxed their limited budget and resources.

3) The last insurance program was significantly more expensive due to the bad track record of the gardens over the years. According to NOSC, many gardens never paid the full premium leaving NOSC covering the bill. This is with the understanding that many gardens don't have the resources to raise the amount but NOSC can't do it any longer.

4) An accident in a garden early this year (not 6BC, I don't know who), not reported to NOSC, left the last insurance carrier with a bad taste. Whether the insurance carrier raised the premium or cancelled the policy, I also don't know.

It is possible that if your garden is under NYC Parks that their insurance policy is now in effect, but guess what? They at NYC Parks don't know for sure! And it's possible that the terms of the policy will require many gardens will have to be inspected and impliment changes in the physical structures of their garden to comply with the policy. We were warned about this during the license renewal meetings and at the NYC garden seminar held at City College back in April.

Please do your own investigations, as I said I'll be talking to Parks this week and will post the results of the meeting.

William Hohauser
President
6th Street & Avenue B Garden