Re: Fwd: Term Limits in Community Gardens?

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Fwd: Term Limits in Community Gardens?
  • From: adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 14:58:50 -0400

Here's my idea - you present the gardens as citizen run public space, i.e., parks/gardens/physical recreation/food security centers run on city land in the same way that volunteer firemen run volunteer fire houses.

You have documentation of all the good things you've done/do, with letters of support from your elected officials, schools, police anti-crime programs, neighbors who enjoy your spaces and most importanly, all of your registered voter gardeners.

Capisce?

Ask if your volunteer firehouses, citizen patrols, etc. have sunset provisions. Have someone do a cost/benefit analysis of what it would cost for your city to provide these services for your citizens. Then compare that to the one-time sale of your land and the annual real estate taxes your spaces would yield.  I think, looking at services of a good garden, the garden would win by a pro-rated margin of 25% a year.

Think about it.

Adam Honigman
Volunteer,
Clinton Community Garden