Term Limits for community gardens.

  • Subject: [cg] Term Limits for community gardens.
  • From: "Ashland Community Garden" ACGarden@mind.net
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 11:59:30 -0700

Our Parks Department is in the process of establishing a parks
sanctioned community garden.  We have had a garden on site for three
years; the parks department is currently drafting a master plan for
the property.  As part of the process, the Parks Commission has formed
a subcommittee to develop policy for parks run community gardens.

One big question for our parks commissioners is membership tenure--the
number of seasons a person can reregister at the same plot. One of our
park commissioners put the question to the city attorney to see if
there was any legal reason to limit membership tenure.  The unofficial
word is that there appears not to be any reason to limit membership
tenure and there are no inherent liabilities or risks associated with
unrestricted tenure.

In my opinion, the question boils down to the opinions and desires of
the governing body of the Parks Commission and Department.  If term
limits need to be applied to the community garden, then term limits
could hypothetically be applied to the city owned golf course,
swimming pool or other amenities requiring annual renewal.

As other bulletin board writers stated (Leslie and Adam), you need to
do your homework and look for other applications.  I believe that you
need to rev up your community and make some public noise.

Advocate, Ashland Community Garden