Membership in Community Gardens

  • Subject: [cg] Membership in Community Gardens
  • From: "Kirby, Ellen" ellenkirby@bbg.org
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 10:55:29 -0400

The topic of membership has been covered many times in various ways on
this list serve. I have been keeping track of various ideas directly and
indirectly related to membership.

However, I would appreciate any of your thoughts about:

1.  How to expand membership in community gardens, especially in those
that have lost members due to any of several reasons (age, transitions,
conflict, etc.)

2.  How to sustain membership among those who are participating and to
encourage good relationships among members.

Many of the issues recently discuss are related including: fencing,
keys, etc. as well as specific strategies directly related to
membership.

Here at Brooklyn GreenBridge we are sponsoring two upcoming workshops,
which are open free to anyone who wishes to come.  Your comments will be
most helpful and I will be glad to also share outlines for either of
these two if you email me directly at ellenkirby@bbg.org.

Schedule:

1.  Community Gardening: How to Increase Your Membership, Nov. 2, 6 PM

2.  Community Gardening: Horticulture and Design, Tuesday, Nov. 15, 6 PM

Of course, we will rely heavily on ACGA materials.

Thanks, Ellen Kirby

Brooklyn GreenBridge
Community Horticulture Program
Brooklyn Botanic Garden