Community Garden survey

Hi all!
  My name is Elaine and I have been lurking here for some time and have
enjoyed the ideas here.  I am a Master Gardener and we are starting a
Community Garden committee.  The county has some land that they have
contacted us about using as a community garden.  On Make a Difference Day,
October 23, we are going to be having a ribbon cutting ceremony at a new
school garden we are assisting with.  The proposed community garden is in the
same neighborhood as the school and we were thinking of handing out a short
survey at the event to determine community support for the garden.  Is this a
good way to go about this?  Do any of you have any survey ideas?  Are there
any web sites with this type of survey?  I did find one for children but
nothing for adults.  Thank you!  Elaine