Scholarly Literature on Community Gardens

> Hello friends,
>         I am currently writing a senior thesis discussing the unique
> values of community gardens as forms of community development.  While
> there is a plethora of academic literature discussing community
> development, I can't find much scholarly literature about community
> gardens.  Could you please send me any sources that you have come across?
> Kirsten Walter

	It's difficult to find academic literature that focuses specifically on
community gardens, not much has been done in that area.  It may be
necessary to broaden your literature research out to more general issues
such as food production and consumption, food security, and urban
agriculture.  However, there are a few references I have come across...
David Crouch is a British geographer who has done some work on community
gardens (in Britain they refer to 'allotment gardens' rather than
'community gardens' and I'm not sure what the major differences are
between the two -- I think allotment gardens in Britain were started by
companies in the early days of industrialization when they allotted land
to their workers as a supplement to their wages).  Anything by Crouch
would be useful.  Here's one reference:

Crouch, David  (1989)  The allotment, landscape and locality: ways of
seeing landscape and culture.  Area, 21(3): 261-267.

	Also, by looking into the area of international development, a great
deal of work is currently being done on urban agriculture, which
sometimes takes the form of community gardening.  See:

Freeman, Donald B.  (1991)  A City of Farmers: Informal Urban
Agriculture in the Open Spaces of Nairobi, Kenya.  Montreal:
McGill-Queen’s University Press.

Koc, Mustafa, Rod MacRae, Luc Mougeot, and Jennifer Welsh, eds.  (1999)
For Hunger-proof Cities: Sustainable Urban Food Systems.  Ottawa:
International Development Research Centre.

	Another book that is not quite academic but very well-though out and
often cited by academics is:

Wilson, Alexander  (1992)  The Culture of Nature: North American
Landscape from Disney to the Exxon Valdez.  Cambridge, MA: Blackwell.

Wilson speaks directly about community gardens on a couple of pages
while the book is more generally about North American concepts of
Nature.  A very interesting and easy read!

I'd love to know if anyone has found other good works on community

Erika Westman, B.A., M.A. Candidate
Deptartment of Geography and Environmental Studies
Carleton University
1125 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa, Ontario
K1S 5B6