We are building a community garden in Westlake, Louisiana and included in
our plans are several raised beds that are wheelchair accessible.  However,
I have not had luck finding information on the best way to build such beds.
My problem is that I'm not sure how best to design the bed to make gardening
comfortable for the gardener in a wheelchair.

The best idea I've come up with is a horse shoe shaped raised bed, about
22" - 24" tall (soil level) and 2 feet wide.  There is a 5 foot cement path
on the outside of the horse shoe and pleanty of room inside the horse shoe.
With this design, the gardener has pleanty of room but must place the
wheelchair sideways and work from the side.  This can't be very comfortable.
Does anyone know of a better solution?

Monique Farris
Westlake Community Garden
Project Coordinator