Does Denver have a citywide gardens contest? I'm the coordinator of a
community garden in Philadelphia, our garden tends to be a little wild
looking. I found that entering us in the City Gardens Contest was a real
rallying point. Our gardeners  got excited about it and weeded more with a
purpose, we had a great turn out for the first round of judging, everyone
got to tell the story of their plot, and we  managed to spread a mountain of
wood chips mid-week so the paths would be chipped for the final judging. I
think having this kind of measurable goal is very helpful.

Christine Hibbard
Squirrel Hill Community Garden