Fw: NOTICE: House Organic Bill Introduction

-----Original Message-----
From: Christine Lietzau <LietzauC@state.mi.us>
To: cubbagec@aol.com <cubbagec@aol.com>; Pwhetham@aol.com
<Pwhetham@aol.com>; SHoughton@aol.com <SHoughton@aol.com>;
cvkegg@attglobal.net <cvkegg@attglobal.net>; rkatt@earthlink.net
<rkatt@earthlink.net>; organics@listserv.mda.state.mi.us
<organics@listserv.mda.state.mi.us>; greg.mund@mi.nrcs.usda.gov
<greg.mund@mi.nrcs.usda.gov>; spenn@mi.nrcs.usda.gov
<spenn@mi.nrcs.usda.gov>; moynihaj@msu.edu <moynihaj@msu.edu>;
organic@msu.edu <organic@msu.edu>; bird@msue.msu.edu <bird@msue.msu.edu>;
deepa@pilot.msu.edu <deepa@pilot.msu.edu>; miffs@pilot.msu.edu
<miffs@pilot.msu.edu>; rharwood@pilot.msu.edu <rharwood@pilot.msu.edu>;
Sandy Hill <HillS9.LANS.MDA@state.mi.us>
Cc: Robert Craig <CraigR.LANS.MDA@state.mi.us>; Brad Deacon
<DeaconB9.LANS.MDA@state.mi.us>
Date: Friday, September 22, 2000 9:56 AM
Subject: NOTICE: House Organic Bill Introduction

>Senate Bill 1273 will be introduced in the House on Tuesday, September 26.
This will occur at the House Committee on Agriculture and Resource
Management.

>The meeting time is 9:00 AM sharp
>The meeting location is the House Office Building, corner of Ottawa and
Capitol, Lansing Michigan. Third floor, room 308.

>It is critical that all of you are present to indicate your support for the
legislation. Be prepared to offer a few comments. This is especially
important for the producers. If you do not wish to speak, still fill out a
card and indicate your support.

>Over the summer MDA and various OAC members have met with the retailers to
address their concerns. As a result, several ammendments were crafted. They
did not change the intent of the orginal bill as passed by the Senate.
Rather, they clarified things for the retailers. In reading them you will
find that their requirements are more clearly defined. We are still
requiring retailers (handling operations) who process, make organic claims
about their final product, operation or portion of the operation to be
certified. This has not changed.

>The amendments are included for your use and information. They are in the
body of this e-mail.  If you want a copy of the original document or
ammendments, please call Cindy at 517-241-2178 and we can FAX you a copy.
Organic Committee members will be receiving a UPS overnight package for
Saturday delivery with the amendments and a map to the hearing location.

> [...]
>
>1. Amend page 3, line 13, after "products." by striking
>out the balance of the subdivision.
>
>2. Amend page 5, line 12, after "means" by inserting
>"processes that include, but are not limited to,".
>
>3. Amend page 7, line 9, by striking out all of section 13
>and inserting:
>
>"Sec. 13. (1) The following persons must be certified by a
>certifying agent registered by the department in order to engage
>in the production, sale, or handling of organic products:
>(a) A producer who sells, intends to sell, or represents
>that he or she is engaged in the business of selling to the
>public.
>(b) A handler.
>(c) A handling operation except as otherwise provided in
>this section.
>
>(2) Handling operations, including wholesalers and retail-
>ers, that do not process, produce, package, or relabel organic
>products under their own name or for private label, or make
>organic claims about their operations or label their operation or
>a particular part of their operation as organic, are not required
>to be certified or registered.
>
>(3) A handling operation not required to be certified must
>demonstrate to the satisfaction of the director that is strictly
>complies with all of the following:
>(a) Implements measures necessary for the prevention of com-
>mingling organic and nonorganic products.
>(b) Implements measures necessary to protect organic pro-
>ducts from coming into contact with prohibited substances.
>(c) Maintains records sufficient to prove that organic pro-
>ducts are certified and registered as required by this act, rules
>adopted under this act, or both.
>(d) Verifies quantities of organic products in a manner
>acceptable to the director.
>(e) Maintains records sufficient to verify compliance with
>this act and permits access to those records by the director for
>inspection and copying during normal business hours in order to
>determine compliance with this act.
>(f) Clearly labels, posts, or maintains original organic
>certification information or identification of the organic
>product it handles.
>
>(4) Retail food establishments advertising as organic,
>labeling as organic, or making organic claims about a final pro-
>duct, their operation, or a particular part of their operation
>are required to be certified or registered.
>
>(5) Retail food establishments not advertising as organic,
>not labeling as organic, or not making organic claims about any
>of the following are not subject to this act:
>(a) Their final product.
>(b) An ingredient.
>(c) Their operation.
>(d) A particular part of their operation.
>
>(6) Retail food establishments not required to be certified
>or registered may offer agricultural products for sale that con-
>tain organic and nonorganic components and may use a phrase such as "made
with certified organic (specified ingredients)" if those organic components
were certified in accordance with this act and the requirements in
subsection (3) (b) through (f) are met.".

>4. Amend page 12, line 7, after "(2)" by striking out the
>balance of the line through "source." on line 12 and inserting
>"The organic products fund shall receive as revenue money as
>appropriated by the legislature all registration fees collected
>under this act and money from any other source to be forwarded by the
director to the state treasurer for deposit into the organic