Kids Gardening & Soil testing

I share your concern about the uptake of lead and other toxins from the air
and soil by food crops grown in the city, so I asked a Cooperative Extension
Agent about it.  He said that the science shows that only a few food plants
take up toxins into their bodies.  Once carefully washed, the vegetable is
safe to eat.  The danger to kids from toxins in the soil comes from them
eating the soil itself, not from eating veggies grown in it.  I haven't
studied this any further.  Do others have other thoughts?

Yours,
Glen
Glen Dake, ASLA
gdake@glendakela.com