From: Honigman, Adam [mailto:Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com]
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2000 8:23 AM
To: community_garden@mallorn.com
Subject: RE: [cg] kids gardening

Comrades;

A deadly serious query:

Many of our NYC gardens are built on the sites of demolished tenements,
vacant lots that have interesting histories as gas stations, factories, etc.

Soil testing is imperative. Once we have the snap shot of our respective
dirts we dump in more dirt, used raised beds, test again, usually growing
aerated veggies ( not root) with the strong suggestion that no children
under 10 be fed any of it ( mainly because of lead issues.)

More and more of our gardens are interested in children's gardening
programs. Many do not want to hear that the dirt that produces so much local
beauty may not be good for kids ( "it's so beautiful, how can it be
dangerous?")

For those who are considering children's gardening beds, how do you propose
that we proceed?  My idea is to create a raised brick or plastic board area
- with drainage into gravel loaded with sanitized, store bought dirt, worms
and a separate composting system ( so the regular dirt doesn't get thrown
in.) The idea is to keep lead from the fingers and lungs of the little ones.

Please share with me your ideas.

Adam Honigman