cgs and enviro. education

  • Subject: [cg] cgs and enviro. education
  • From: "Shana and David Cohen" <sanddcohen@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 23:11:09 -0700

Hi there,

I wanted to thank the people who responded to my question about getting funds for a survey of demographic differences among community gardeners. I also received some valuable advice from you about the study itself.

Based on those comments, I've decided to look in a more statistical way at what kinds of things people learn in comm. gardens and how their knowledge translates into altered behaviors with respect to the environment, personal growth, and civic engagement. I'd really appreciate recommendations from anyone about how to go about measuing what people learn and the changes that learning fosters in their' actions and lifestyles. Also hope to assess whether gardening improves mood, and if so, how that relates to learning capacity.

Any suggestions on what kind of sample population could most benefit from this type of research are also very welcome.

As of now, I'm proposing that gardeners who are relatively new to the experience (possibly culled from cg waiting lists) might give the most precise indication of the extent to which gardens encourage love of learning as well as of healthier, happier and more sustainable lifestyles.
Thanks again for your help!
Sincerely,
Shana Cohen