Re: Harvesting in the Desert

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Harvesting in the Desert
  • From: jritcher <jritcher@asu.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 17:52:30 -0700

Hi!  I am another ASU student and Sonoran Desert gardener.  Last year I was
involved with a fall gardening class and, I'm sorry to report, squash,
gourds, etc. would probably not be a successful crop to grow here this time
of year.  While it is very moderate in temperature here and great for
growing a lot of other things, what you will encounter is that around
November it will get cold enough to cause frost damage that will kill your
pumpkin plants.  The temperature will drop one night and you'll come back
to blackened plants the next morning.  You may have luck if you try it in
the right spot (like near a warm, southfacing wall) and take care to
anticipate temp changes by covering the plants those colder nightst.
You'll have the best luck with "leafy"  and root veggies: spinach, arugula,
lettuce turnips, beets, radishes, brocolli. etc.  Some types of dry beans
also grow well in our fall gardens here and you can also get a crop of
green beans planted and harvested before it gets too cold for them.

Good Luck!