Keeping Hope Alive

  • Subject: [cg] Keeping Hope Alive
  • From: "Ed Byrnes" <Ebyrnes@socwk.utah.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 20:33:55 -0600

Dear Colleagues,
The question of "How does one fight such evil?" has weighed heavily on my mind as well my heart.  I don't believe that this is a military or policy fight, but rather a struggle that begins within each of us.  My personal belief is that each and every time any one of us crosses a boundary that is socially constructed, be it race, sex, religion, nationality, etc., to make human contact, we are personally fighting the evil that manifested yesterday.
Given United States history, there will me much blame fueling much hatred in the very near future.  When we take pause, find strength, and give voice to reason during these most unreasonable times, we are fighting the evil that has befallen us.
Peace to us all,
Ed Byrnes
Ed Byrnes, Ph.D., ABD
Research Assistant Professor
University of Utah School of Social Work
395 South 1500 East, Room 126
Salt Lake City, Utah 84105
Phone: (801) 581-4459
Fax: (801) 585-3219