important re: ACGA & outreach in-kind media spot

  • Subject: important re: [cg] ACGA & outreach in-kind media spot
  • From: "Kerr, Thomas J." <KerrT@missouri.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 13:18:22 -0500

September 18, 2001
Rick Bacigalupi, Bacipix, San Francisco,

The American Community Gardening Association conference in Salt Lake was a
magnificent event. Thank you for your technical expertise and participation.

It seems almost all the attendees were very pleased with the professionalism
and events coordinated by the SLC hosts. The conference charged lots of
drained cells and rejuvinated the vigor of spirit that encourages comments
like yours. ACGA is indeed in a better situation now (post-conference) than
ever before, to address support for, and advocacy of the international
community gardening movement.

Additionally, as many have echoed in the past week (post 9-11), now more
than ever food systems projects like those supported in the ACGA mission are
very important to present to a greater audience as alternative approaches to
the terrible crisis that occurred last week.

I share your belief that "peace [through] gardening" is a powerful message
coupled with the practical benefits of cg's: community building,
self-empowerment, and others.

As the co-coordinator of the ACGA Board's Development Committee, I have
inquired to a few other Board members their input. So far, the comments have
been positive. To be specific, the Communications Committee has offered to
lend a hand in any script writing and video logic (or provide Association
accountability for the project).

On Wednesday, the Executive Committee will have this issue on the agenda of
their conference call. I will propose at that time that the Executive Board
vote favorably on your request to generate a suitable spot for television.

As I see it, the following issues need be addressed prior to airtime:

language - oral and visual: the EC will most likely want some oversight to
your language; Anna Wasescha (Communications Committee) has offered to help,
as will I where needed; an example, Judy Tiger responded with a suggestion
of "healing and renewal", and you had questions about the mission

tag-line - are you in favor of using this to promote ACGA directly (phone
number, website, etc. included) or to provide ACGA endorsement of the role
commmunity gardens play in community building, self-empowerment, etc.; to
what ends are your looking at this?.

I'm sharing this with the rest of the Board and general ACGA list-serve
participants, for a broad sense of people's input about these two points and
others. I feel confident that we'll have a go-ahead tomorrow afternoon, and
would like to share the comments from the Exec.Committee with you following
that meeting.

Until then,
Thank you for thinking of the ACGA in your efforts to develop gardening
videos to encourage more support for cg's,

Tom Kerr,
co-chair, Development Committee

Tom Kerr
Food Circles Networking Project - Kansas City
University of Missouri Outreach and Extension
2700 E. 18th Street, Suite 240
Kansas City, MO 64127
tel: (816) 482-5888
fax: (816) 482-5880

Judy Tiger wrote: Monday 9/17:

The PSA seems like a good idea and is a generous offer we should accept.

If the 'confusion' over which came first in the mission cannot be resolved
quickly enough, the mission as is should be used.  It serves us well so far.

The message should be as suggested, but really needs to include the words
healing and renewal.

Judy Tiger