FW: Community Gardens for School Kids

  • Subject: [cg] FW: Community Gardens for School Kids
  • From: "Sally McCabe" <smccabe@pennhort.org> (by way of Sally McCabe)
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 16:35:37 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Sarah Johnson [mailto:sjohnson@kipp.org]
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2001 5:21 PM
To: smccabe@pennhort.org
Subject: Community Gardens for School Kids

Dear Sally,

I hope that you, your family and friends are doing alright in the wake of
last week's tragic attack on our country.  I am writing to inquire more
about community garden programs, particularly ones that work with schools.
KIPP (www.kipp.org) stands for the Knowledge is Power Program, and consists
of a network of public schools serving disadvantaged youth.  We currently
have schools located in New York, Washington, DC, Houston and Gaston, North
Carolina.  We hope to open an additional 13 schools in 2002.  I know of a
Children's Gardening Program run by the Trust for Public Land in NYC, but
have not had as much luck locating similar programs in Washington, DC,
Houston and Gaston.  Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Sarah C. Johnson
345 Spear Street, 5th floor