RE: 23 cities funded back in early 80's for food gardening

  • Subject: [cg] RE: 23 cities funded back in early 80's for food gardening
  • From: "Sally McCabe" <smccabe@pennhort.org>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 11:46:27 -0400

The original cities in 1976 were New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, Detroit,
Los Angeles and Houston. The second wave in '98 included Jacksonville,
Memphis, New Orleans, St Louis, Atlanta, Boston, Newark, Baltimore,
Cleveland & Milwaukee. 1985 added Denver, Seattle, Phoenix, Indianapolis.
I'm not sure when Louisville came on, and I want to say Bridgeport, CT. This
means I'm missing at least one. Libby???  Did Ann Arbor ever get in?

Anyway, we do have copies of the article, which came out in the '94 issue of
the Review.

One of the early Community Greening Reviews, I think it was 96 or 97 did an
in depth article about the 23 cities program. I am writing from home as we
are still phoneless in our office or I would have the right year. I don't
know if there are any copies to be had. Sally Mc Cabe may know.  My
recollection is that it started as a much smaller program- 4 or 5 cities
then expanded to the 23 cities. Funding ended when Rep Fred Richmond retired
and there was no champion for the  program. The 23 cities money was real
dollars that funded programs thru the land grant universities cooperative
extention programs in the selected cities (bonus points to any one who can
name the 23).
The latest money was a USDA Millenium gardening allocation  of $250,000 to
fund community garden coordinators in all 50 states. We tried to talk them
out of it. Not much that a coordinator can do on a statewide level for
$5000. Mostly it was dumped on  someone who had many other jobs to do. I
haven't heard of anything that came out of this money and I don't think the
funding was for more than one year.
Lenny Librizzi
> 9/23/2001 12:05:27 PM, "Sadler, Sally-Anne"
> <Sally-Anne.Sadler@METROKC.GOV>
> wrote:

> >   Dear Tiffany,
> >
> >   Hi.  I could be getting some of these facts wrong, perhaps
> Tom Tyler, the ACGA Pres and an ag. agent can correct me.  But my
understanding is that
> >   that USDA back in the early 80's funded 23 (26?) cities around the US
> >   start food gardening projects.  That money paid for an agent/faculty
> >   member for WSU Coop. Extension King County. (Seattle)   That funding
dried up and some of the projects continue, like ours in Seattle,  the Urban
Food Gardeners.