Re: Update from Manhattan Community Board 1 ( the World Trade Center)

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Update from Manhattan Community Board 1 ( the World Trade Center)
  • From: SoleilPaz@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 13:16:13 EDT

Dear Adam,

      This past week plus I have held my breath and read of your fate and that of other CG friends so close the disaster area. First off, thank goodness you and yours are OK.
      I have been hanging on all news about how the community gardens have served through crisis, how innocent structures of CG folks can become lifelines for each other and those outside. Thanks so much for all the inspirational information you've shared. I am including some of your reported snips in our October newsletter, with your permission of course.
      Personally, I feel that many here on the West Coast remain somewhat emotionally removed from this tragedy. Our way of life has not been drastically altered immediately, at least as much as yours has. For me, this last report from the NY neighborhoods drove home the issue of food security, and how the aged, infirm and the impoverished are ALWAYS the ones who suffer first in crisis and last from lack of representation. We all believe we are charmed and immune. We are NOT.
      Sept 11 my husband and I were on our yearly vacation in a CA State Park high in the Sierras, with only a small radio to keep us company. As usual, we listen only to KVMR, a community radio station out of Nevada City, CA with responsible alternative coverage to all news and issues. There we were, for 4 days, virgins to the video images that were pummeling the nation's collective psyche. We heard from Democracy Now in Exile near ground zero, the BBC, a myriad of others, and many music/talk programs devoted to peace, meditation and prayer for healing... Then we slammed into town Friday PM while all the Yahoos were out in the streets partying with candles and flags as if it were the F'in 4th of July. Hearing the mainstream media's war mongering, I was disgusted, outraged and feet deeply alienated from my fellow human beings.
      I live less than 1 mile from the country's largest propane storage tanks. These were threatened in 2000 when a couple of Arian Nation freaks tried to carry out a Y2K doomsday scenario. So, even suburban CA has it's vulnerabilities. Our new city government is very pro growth and big biz, not much hope for the individual or the underprivileged. And ya know the funniest thing? We've been offered a plot of land for our community garden about 1/4 mile away from Suburban Propane, literally right in the shadow. Hmmmm.......

--Soleil Tranquilli
Elk Grove Community Garden