NYC Gardeners Voted and Maybe Got Something!

  • Subject: [cg] NYC Gardeners Voted and Maybe Got Something!
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 13:57:47 -0400

Friends,

Many of you were extremely involved in the Parks 2001movement to increase
NYC funding to 1% of Parks funding ( quite frankly, we owned the Union
Square community garden (oops!) Parks 2001 rally on the Saturday September
8th - our banners, voices and numbers clearly stated that community gardens
were in the house!) We had representatives from all of our garden groups,
many, many gardens and even the NY Botanical Society on the same page. This
was truly outstanding!

 Clinton Community Garden, like many NYC community gardens,  made sure that
everyone in our memberships who could vote, did vote.  In the midst of our
fundraising after the WTC disaster, Annie Chadwick, Faser and I made sure
that folks got the message: we weren't going to let terrorists keep us from
the polls. Eyes on the prize.

Aresh & his MoreGardens! multi-borough caravan for votes and gardens ( many
of you from out-of-town may know him from the Earth Celebrations pageants on
the Lower East Side of Manhattan), the amazing petition process that he
organized and so many of us participated in , along with the Parks 2001
community gardeners have influenced yesterday's primary - in which only the
most dedicated voters showed up:

Fernando Ferrer and Mark Green ( who both have made pro-garden statements
re: Parks 2001) are in the mayoral run-off.

As of now, it looks that City councilperson Fisher of Brooklyn ( of the
Fisher/Carion Community Garden Bill) will probably not be Brooklyn Borough
President but it looks that Carion will be the Bronx Borough President!

I am pleased to say that Gale Brewer of the upper west side, a pro-garden
good government type, will probably be the next city councilperson from the
area that runs from 55th - 96th Streets west of Central Park ( which has 4
community gardens!)

Brooklyn's Jon Crow, who set up the first Brooklyn Parks and Gardens
coalition said it all in his wonderful posters ( I'm still laughing about
how ubiquitous his placards were at Unions Square) "Gardeners Vote!"

We just have to keep it up.

Thank you all!

Adam Honigman