Butterfly mineral lick

  • Subject: [cg] Butterfly mineral lick
  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower@snip.net>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 18:15:19 -0400

Hi, Folks!

I like "The Garden Gate" for the ACGA newsletter, too.

Meanwhile, does anyone have instructions on how to put together a mineral
lick or salt bath or whatever it is that is supposed to attract butterflies
and give them the minerals and water they need to stay strong and healthy?
I thought it would be a fun project for kids to dig a hole and fill it with
whatever these minerals are for the butterflies for "Make A Difference Day"
on 10/27, but since I haven't followed the whole butterfly gardening thing
as well as I should have (we just plant lots of flowers and let a certain
percentage of the herbs flower to keep all our pollinators happy), I haven't
a clue as to whether one can buy a "butterfly salt lick kit" or what the
minerals are that one could hand to a bunch of little kids and let them make
mudpies with and maybe have enough to fill a shallow ditch for the butterflies.

If you haven't entered the "Make A Difference Day" databank of projects,
it's definately worth doing (www.makeadifferenceday.com).  You get a free
membership in Inkindex, the place that corportions donate their excess
whatever to, through 10/27.  I listed a whole bunch of gardening stuff (no
matches yet, so I guess Gardener's Supply doesn't use them to unload
merchandise), but if your organization needs computer equipment, office
furniture, women's clothes and sponges, it does seem to be the place to be.
And 10/27 is a great time (at least here in Zone 6) to get folks together
and prepare the garden for winter.

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of