RE: Butterfly mineral lick

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Butterfly mineral lick
  • From: "John Herndon" <jherndon@regionalfoodbank.org>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 09:02:56 -0700

HI Dorene
This is a butterfly attractant.  Not sure how many minerals it supplies but
it sounds rich enough.
1 quart beer
1 tablespoon rum
1 slice brown bread
1 pound brown sugar
1 tablespoon honey
1 apple (cut into small pieces and dried)
Mix ingredients together and let stand 12-24 hours.  To set out bait, take
pieces of sponge 3 inches by 3 inches and soak them in the solution.  Then
tie them with string to trees or post.
Good luck,
John Herndon
Community Garden Coordinator