Fw: gardens under power lines?

  • Subject: Fw: [cg] gardens under power lines?
  • From: "Deborah Mills" deborah@greencure.org
  • Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 07:52:18 -0700

Dear Jen,

I was garden manager at Cornucopia Community Garden in Ventura, California
where the garden was located on an easement that Southern California Edison
so we too had a mass of powerlines overhead that hummed quite a bit but we
never seen any adverse effects that we know of. The garden has been there
for 17years and it can accomendate 140 garden plots. Many of the "original"
gardeners are still there and some are 65 plus in years. We also had many
families plus quite a few of  pregant women who gave birth to beautiful
children.We never had any oddities with growing any plants either.

Sometimes we did have prospecitve new gardeners that objected to them and as
a result they didn't sign-up but they where few and far between.

At first, the noise can be a little bothersome but it ends up blending in
and you don't seem to notice it much.

I know my response isn't scientific but it comes from first hand experience.
I strongly believe it is a good use of land and for anyone looking for land,
your electric company is a good starting place.

All my best,
Deborah

> I'm working with an apartment community right now that wishes to have a
> community garden.
> Looks like the best option in the vicinity is a large greenway, which
happens
> to be underneath a mass of powerlines.
> It's optimal because of it's location and because it's city-owned and we
can
> collaborate with our city parks program.
>
> Does anyone have experience with lands like these?
> Are there safety or health issues in spending time in these areas?
>
> Please pass on the research or experience if you have it.
>
> Thanks!
> Jen Dodd  - Americorps VISTA, Gainesville, FL
> Americorps VISTA, Neighborhood Nutrition Network  P.O. Box 12311
Gainesville, Florida 32604    352.377.6345   352.336.1112  "To own a bit of
ground,   to scratch it with a hoe,  to plant seeds and watch the   renewal
of life - this is the   commonest delight of the race -   the most
satisfactory thing a man  can do"-Charles Dudley Warner