RE: Baltimore or 1 hour radius Community Gardens

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Baltimore or 1 hour radius Community Gardens
  • From: "John Verin" jverin@pennhort.org
  • Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 16:23:15 -0400

Whilst in MD, be sure to check out the awesome organic farm and training program at The Accokeek Foundation  www.accokeek.org.

It was there I did my 2 year farm apprenticeship. Most physically fit and well-fed two years of my life! Not to mention the sublime beauty of spending my days deeply connected with and thoroughly humbled by Nature. Haven't taken a single bite of food or drop of water for granted since. My complexities? Banal next to the web of life in soil; the amazing spiral patterns on cauliflower; to live with bald eagles as beings and not as promotional imagery; to live in joy with what I once called discomfort; to share food every day with beautiful people; morning sun dew drops, sparkling stars on asparagus ferns.

It is this beauty we must cultivate in our cities, so we all may celebrate together that which makes us possible.

Paco John Verin
City Wide Coordinator - Philadelphia Green
The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society
100 North 20th Street, 5th floor
Philadelphia, PA  19103-1495
Phone: 215-988-8885; Fax 215-988-8810