Thanks & 9/11 Sections from NYC Newspapers

  • Subject: [cg] Thanks & 9/11 Sections from NYC Newspapers
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com
  • Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 11:37:20 -0400

Friends,

How Wednesday, 9/1/2002  looks from New York:

a) Like last year, we have another primary election but  this time it will
be the 10th.

b) While there will be services and commemorations, Wednesday will be
another workday ( those who still have jobs are not going to miss a day's
pay.)

c) Interestingly, nobody around here is calling 9/11 "Patriots Day" yet.
We're kinda slow on name changes -  we still call the Avenue of the
Americas, "sixth avenue, " a full 60 years after Mayor Fiorello La Guardia
officially changed the name.

d) We're thinking about Pennsylvania, Washington, DC and are extremely
grateful for the outpouring of support and good will that came from all over
the US and the World.

e) The decision of the ACGA last September to keep to  its decision to hold
the 2002 convention in NYC was almost unique in the slew of group
cancellations that were made in the wake of the attack. Having the
convention here, with representatives from throughout the states and the
world meant more than words can say.  Thanks gardeners!

Attached  is a compilation by the Gotham Gazette webzine  of  the best 9/11
NY newspaper features and articles that appeared last weekend and analysis
of their own.

 Almost A Year
With the anniversary of the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center two
days away, it is difficult to find coverage about anything else. Among the
special sections this weekend on 9/11 were those in:
The New York Times http://www.nytimes.com/pages/nationchallenged/index.html
The New York Times Magazine http://www.nytimes.com/library/magazine/home/

The Daily News http://www.nydailynews.com/news/september11/

Newsday http://www.newsday.com/news/local/newyork/ny-911anniversary.html

The New York Post http://www.nypost.com/09112002/09112002.htm today runs a
special section that lists http://www.nypost.com/09112002/09112002ny_ad.htm
all the people who died, with their ages and occupations.

We attempt to sort out the 9/11 coverage in Gotham Gazette's Rebuilding NYC
http://www.gothamgazette.com/rebuilding_nyc, which includes summaries of,
and links to,  these sections and others.

Our own coverage includes an attempt to answer the question: Why all the
fuss?

1. The Culture Of 9/11
http://www.gothamgazette.com/iotw/911_artsculture /

2.How 9/11 Has Affected NYC Arts, Civil Rights, The Environment, Etc.
http://www.gothamgazette.com/topics.shtml

3.The Anniversary - Lists Upon Lists Of Events, Coverage, Etc.
http://www.gothamgazette.com/rebuilding_nyc/topics/anniversary/

4. Talk To Psychologists Live On 9/11
http://www.gothamgazette.com/rebuilding_nyc/chat/

5. Tell Us What YOU Are Planning For 9/11
http://www.gothamgazette.com/forums/read.php?f=3&i=637&t=637

Mayor Michael Bloomberg is among those concerned about the saturation
coverage of the anniversary, asking the television networks not to run the
images of the towers' collapse again and again. His call is already being
ignored.
Meanwhile, the preparations for the anniversary continue. Officials said
that 24-hour military fighter jet patrols have resumed over Washington and
New York. The city has revised the total number of people killed in the
attack on the World Trade Center -- 2,801 names will be read at the official
ceremony on Wednesday.