Concert in Ames to benefit Johannesburg community gardens

  • Subject: [cg] Concert in Ames to benefit Johannesburg community gardens
  • From: Alliums garlicgrower@earthlink.net
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 09:28:50 -0400

Hi Folks!

Found this on another list -- anyone know anyone connected with South African community gardens?

From: <killmer@iastate.edu>
Subject: Jo'burg community garden benefit concert

Hi Group!

It was indeed so neat to meet all of you and share this amazing learning
experience with you!

While in Jo'burg Gina, Margret, and I visited community garden projects.  One
of which was a group of women who were all unemployed (as you know the
unemployment rate in the townships of Johannesburg are horribly high).  The
gardens they have started, with the help of a low-budget non-profit in Jo'burg,
have provided them the much needed nutritional food, beautified/energized the
neighborhood, and have brought community members together.  They asked us if we
might be able to help them buy some seed packets for the summer planting season
just a couple weeks away.  We replied "we hope so!"

In our attempts to turn that hope into reality we're putting on a benefit
concert this wednesday at Cafe Diem (main st., ames)from 6-8pm.  There's no
cover; donations for seeds, tools, and the use of an uncontaminated water
source will be requested.

The muscian performing is Abi Tapia, a sing songwriter from Portland, ME (a
friend of Holly).  She played at the Library folk music series last fall and is
well liked in this town!  Of course I'm biased, but I think she's great!

For those of you close to Ames, hope you can join us.  And for everyone,
please, please e-mail the note below to your friends in the Ames area.

Thanks so much,
Holly

Note to be forwarded:

Please join us for a benefit concert to raise money for Gardens of Hope, a
newly founded coalition raising money for community gardens in South Africa.
Come listen to the great tunes of singer songwriter Abi Tapia and learn more
about this project.