RE: writing a plan/proposal for a new garden in Arkansas

  • Subject: RE: [cg] writing a plan/proposal for a new garden in Arkansas
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 15:04:38 -0400

Ms. Elliott,

What cheerful news for a cloudy day!

A few suggestions:

1) You will find a wealth of community gardening information on the American
Community Gardening Association website. Set yourself up with a pot of
coffee ( or whatever your favorite beverage is) click on all of the links
and print whatever you need. http://www.communitygarden.org . An amazingly
fine link on the site deals with start-ups:

http://www.communitygarden.org/links/index.html#Generalcg

2)You have one of the best American community gardeners in your state and
region. Little Rock's Dunbar Community Garden ( part of the AUGER program)
is a remarkable school/community garden. Dunbar Garden Director Pratt
Remmell is a great teacher, fine gardener and a very nice man. He has been
where you are.  Take a trip down to Little Rock and buy the man a cup of
coffee!

Seriously, You should contact AUGER, Dunbar and Pratt through this website:
http://www.auger-ar.org/ . A search through the ACGA link page can get you
to the web pages of many fine regional community garden programs.  Check
them out.

3)Outside of looking cool, nothing empowers young people than knowing that
what they do makes a difference in their communities. When you think
community gardening, you should also think food security. You may want to
look at what the community garden friendly Arkansas Hunger Coalition has
been doing to fight hunger in your state: http://www.arkansashunger.org/
There are already folks "planting a row for the hungry" in your state
http://www.gwaa.org/par/. You might  consider doing so as this as part of
the educational mission of your garden.

4) While the sources above are more than enough to get you guided and
started, no list of great local resources would be complete without
mentioning John Herndon, the community garden coordinator for the Urban
Harvest Food Project of the Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma.
http://www.gwaa.org/par/

5) Most of the gardens listed on the ACGA website have mission statements,
histories, plans, garden rules, by-laws and guides to governance. Consider
these as a supplement to the great guides to these subjects on the ACGA
website.

Then...get your friends together and brainstorm about what you are going to
write...,

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer, Clinton Community Garden