is pressure-treated lumber ok for building raised beds?

  • Subject: [cg] is pressure-treated lumber ok for building raised beds?
  • From: "Caraway Seed" carawayseed@hotmail.com
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 12:59:21 -0500

Hello everyone,
My landlady has some pressure-treated lumber she said I could use for building raised beds, but she was worried that it might not be safe because of chemicals used in its manufacture. If anyone knows about the safety of using this lumber, I'd appreciate the information.

Thank you,
Caraway Seed

P.S. Thanks everyone who gave me info. about community gardens in Olympia, WA and Missouri when I was trying to figure out where I was moving. I am now living in Olympia, where there are indeed a lot of interesting gardening things going on!