RE: is pressure-treated lumber ok for building raised beds?

  • Subject: RE: [cg] is pressure-treated lumber ok for building raised beds?
  • From: "John Verin" jverin@pennhort.org
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 15:44:20 -0400

Chromated Copper Arsenate is the stuff used to preserve wood. As you know copper turns green when exposed to the elements; thus you see people's decks, etc. with a green hue to them. This is the CCA leaching out of the wood. Arsenate... arsenic... comprendez-vous?

IMHO, not at all safe, especially for food growing. Not even safe to handle. Mike McGrath, when at OG magazine, was part of drawing attention to the hazards it posed children. Playground structures are often made of PT wood, and kids, who often touch their eyes or put hands in mouth were ingesting CCA.
EPA has put a ban on the retail sale of PT wood, I believe starting next year.

IMHO, couldn't pay me to use it.

I use untreated lumber for raised beds, coating it well all over with linseed oil at building time, and additional maintenance coats on the exposed sides each fall. This delays decomposition somewhat. However, when time comes, this wood can be composted.

Happy chemical-free gardening!

Paco John Verin
City Wide Coordinator - Philadelphia Green
The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society
100 North 20th Street, 5th floor
Philadelphia, PA  19103-1495
Phone: 215-988-8885; Fax 215-988-8810