Re: From New Yorkers for Parks" Settlement Saves Gardens But ...

  • Subject: [cg] Re: From New Yorkers for Parks" Settlement Saves Gardens But ...
  • From: aresh aresh@moregardens.org
  • Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 14:54:26 -0400

Mark Leger wrote:

Hey,

New Yorkers for Prks said:
>> The review process specified in the settlement lacks teeth, according to
>> NY4P. The review process fails to identify what agencies will be included
>> and / or the extent of gardener involvement.

I'm glad to see that NY4P are bring up the issue of gardener involvement.
The were the group that engineered changes to Intro 206 that not only
disinvolved gardeners, but also some of the original sponsoring non-profits.
All in all, I will go out on a limb and say that the final deal is better
than the one proposed by NY4P, and it's all because a critical mass of
gardeners opposed their proposal. Let's hope in the future that they take
this to heart, and not continue to seek to undercut the grassroots by more
backroom shenanigans.

New Yorkers for Prks said:

NY4P commends the settlement for continuing the Green Thumb Program;
>> however, it would like to see a greater commitment by the city to ensure
>> the existence of this valuable program.  The settlement states that the
>> Green Thumb Program, which cares for many gardens, will remain in
>> existence as long as there are city funds for the Program. The Program can
>> be given notice and closed within 60 days.

I agree that the future of GT needs to be addressed in city council
legislation. GT is all in all a great program. Besides city funding, I would
hope the legislation would provide for a board of advisors to GreenThumb,
made up primarily of community gardeners.

Cheers,

Mark

--- CYBERGARDENS