RE: Plants for shaded areas in a community garden w/link

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Plants for shaded areas in a community garden w/link
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 10:26:30 -0400

Maybe this link will work:

http://www.rbg.vic.gov.au/

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam36055@aol.com [mailto:Adam36055@aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 8:09 AM
To: tamsin@sparecreative.com
Cc: community_garden@mallorn.com
Subject: Re: [cg] Plants for shaded areas in a community garden

Friend,

Outside of the heart-warming  bottles of New South Wales Shiraz that a
gardener brought to our Hell's Kitchen Heroes Picnic ( honoring our
neighborhood's firemen, cops and emegency medical service ambulance
personnel
last weekend) my knowledge of soil and plant conditions in Australia is
pretty attenuated.  I do know, however,  that you have flora that many of us

in North America would die for.

Others on this list have probably already looked up plant varieties that
would work in your climate/zone - we have some amazing master gardeners
here.

My suggestion is for you to reach out to resources close to home.  Why don't

you send a note to the Royal Melbourne Botanic Gardens          (<A
HREF="http://www.rbg.vic.gov.au/";>Click here: Royal Botanic Gardens
Melbourne
Australia</A> ) with a photo and map of your garden,  your ideas and
questions - just like you sent the list serve, and a request for:

1) Where to economically get your soil tested - key for food production.

2) Resources on Australian native plants that do well in the shade ( or
non-invasive foreign ones)

3) A request for information on how your garden group could get a guided
tour
of Royal Melbourne Botanic Garden tailored to your current interests ( note:

Botanic Gardens do this all the time for garden clubs.)

Botanic gardens are filled with many helpful people who love gardens and
respect backyard/community gardeners. Really, its really refreshing for
people in a big league botanic garden to work with folks whose jewelry
doesn't clank.  ;-)

Go for it!  Let us know how it works out for you.  Who knows? Maybe the
Royal
Melbourne will take you under their wing - the world class Pennsylvania
Horticultural Society, New York Botanical & Brooklyn Botanic gardens all
have
educational programs for community gardens - some of your local resources
may
suprise you.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman