Re: Spider Mites

Spider mites are sap suckers. Getting rid of them can be quite difficult. They can be controlled by washing the plants in soapy water, if the infestation isn't too advanced. I've done this with house plants by tipping the plants upside and swishing them through the soapy water (no anti-bacterial dish soap of course). According to some of my books, insecticidal/horticultural oils will work, but I have no experience with this, so don't know how well it works with advanced infestations - especially as I've been under the impression that most of them need to be applied while the plant is dormant.

If the infestation is severe, IME, it's either get rid of the plant, or use some heavy duty pesticides like systemics. I would not compost any plant so infested though, as spider mites can overwinter outside in many areas.

Good luck.

treebone7@hotmail.com wrote on 9/26/2002
Help! I have spider mites in my greenhouse!
What can I do?
Fayetteville, AR

Global Virtual Desktop
Get your free Desktop at http://www.magicaldesk.com