Derek Steel response to incinerators

  • Subject: [cg] Derek Steel response to incinerators
  • From: "a.h.steely" gfcp@mindspring.com
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 16:22:34 -0400

Another person gave me a better group of words to search and I did find the
Kobe plant that will come online next March using the Plasma process.  I
will immediately look up the URL's you provided.

We have an even greater problem than just "deconstructing" the trash.  With
the promise by the Mayor that this will help pay into the general tax fund
for the city, the area will be forced by the dormant Commerce Clause to take
trash from all over.

The young lawyers from the Clean Air Council and DEP are concentrating on
getting air quality compliance.  One track thinking... the people in the
area need to be aware that a compact between counties like the Low Level
Radioactive Waste Compact is what is needed.  The entire operation must be
only for the concerned municipalities with payment by taxes only or we will
have a situation where the Incinerator places the county in the position of
being a "Participant in the Marketplace" rather than a regulator.  Of course
our neighbor, Mayor Reed must very well know that he is misleading the folk
of Harrisburg.  I just wish his "community of orientation" would put him in
his place.  He is ready to flee to a home in Arizona which he may have
purchased with city funds.  I think he is taking advantage of the
disadvantaged and I fear with the new EPA regs that the Bush administration
is making, the situation will not be avoidable even with a precedent case
for Environmental Racism closing a similar facility in Chester, Pa.  Both
the Republican bigwigs and a very influential Democratic state senator own
property in an area better suited to have a buffered incineration facility.
They want green space but the city folk are even losing their abandoned

Helen Steely
Harrisburg, Pa.