Save the Dowling Community Garden
- Subject: [cg] Save the Dowling Community Garden
- From: "Corrie Zoll" email@example.com
- Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 12:51:31 -0500
- Content-class: urn:content-classes:message
- Thread-index: AcNuVi2oT576AuImRdSZi4I9wnTvSQ==
- Thread-topic: Save the Dowling Community Garden
Some of you will get multiple copies of this message. My apologies.
It's worth your time.
The Minneapolis School Board will vote September 30 on a proposal to
build a new middle school on the site of the Dowling Community Garden.
The Dowling Community Garden was established as a "Victory Garden" in
1943, and celebrated its 60th anniversary this year. We know of only
one garden in the United States - Fenway Gardens in Boston - that has
been continually used as a community garden longer than Dowling. Dowling
is a historically valuable and unique green space asset that cannot be
replaced. The garden serves more than 200 gardeners, plus dog-walkers,
families with children, and others.
Please show your support for the Dowling Community Garden.
1. Contact Minneapolis Schools Superintendent Carol Johnson BEFORE
SEPTEMBER 9 (when the board presents the proposal) and let her know that
the garden is important. Carol.firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Contact Minneapolis City Council Member Sandra Colvin Roy at the
City's web site
3. Contact Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak email@example.com
4. Attend the School Board's informational meetings:
Wednesday, Sept 10
Ann Sullivan Communications Center
3100 28th Street East, Minneapolis
Monday, September 15
South High School
3131 19th Avenue South, Minneapolis
5. Attend the public hearing on this issue:
Tuesday, September 16
807 Broadway Ave Northeast, Minneapolis
6. Help the good people at Dowling Community Garden to spread the word:
Visit the Dowling Community Garden web site
Here is an article from the Minneapolis StarTribune describing the
Also, a letter to the Editor from August 28 (scroll down a bit)
Here you'll find contact information for school board members:
Some historical information about Victory Gardens:
Also, feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.
Corrie Zoll, Program Director
A program of The Green Institute
2801 21st Avenue South, Suite 110
Minneapolis, MN 55407
The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org
To post an e-mail to the list: firstname.lastname@example.org
To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription: https://secure.mallorn.com/mailman/listinfo/community_garden