Save the Dowling Community Garden

  • Subject: [cg] Save the Dowling Community Garden
  • From: "Corrie Zoll" czoll@greeninstitute.org
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 12:51:31 -0500

Some of you will get multiple copies of this message.  My apologies.
It's worth your time.

The Minneapolis School Board will vote September 30 on a proposal to
build a new middle school on the site of the Dowling Community Garden.

The Dowling Community Garden was established as a "Victory Garden" in
1943, and celebrated its 60th anniversary this year.  We know of only
one garden in the United States - Fenway Gardens in Boston - that has
been continually used as a community garden longer than Dowling. Dowling
is a historically valuable and unique green space asset that cannot be
replaced.  The garden serves more than 200 gardeners, plus dog-walkers,
families with children, and others.

Please show your support for the Dowling Community Garden.

1. Contact Minneapolis Schools Superintendent Carol Johnson BEFORE
SEPTEMBER 9 (when the board presents the proposal) and let her know that
the garden is important. Carol.johnson@mpls.k12.mn.us

2. Contact Minneapolis City Council Member Sandra Colvin Roy at the
City's web site
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/contact/email-form-roy.asp

3. Contact Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak mayor@ci.minneapolis.mn.us

4. Attend the School Board's informational meetings:

Wednesday, Sept 10
5:30 pm
Ann Sullivan Communications Center
3100 28th Street East, Minneapolis

Monday, September 15
5:30 pm
South High School
3131 19th Avenue South, Minneapolis

5. Attend the public hearing on this issue:

Tuesday, September 16
5:30 pm
807 Broadway Ave Northeast, Minneapolis

6. Help the good people at Dowling Community Garden to spread the word:

Wendy Haan
612.729.4042

Angela Elser
612.728.9893

also:

Visit the Dowling Community Garden web site
www.dowlingcommunitygarden.org

Here is an article from the Minneapolis StarTribune describing the
proposals:

Also, a letter to the Editor from August 28 (scroll down a bit)

Here you'll find contact information for school board members:
http://www.mpls.k12.mn.us/about/board/board_of_education.shtml

Some historical information about Victory Gardens:
http://americanhistory.si.edu/house/yourvisit/victorygarden.asp
http://www.victorygardening.com/

Also, feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

-Corrie

Corrie Zoll, Program Director
GreenSpace Partners
A program of The Green Institute