Re: Save the Dowling Community Garden
- Subject: Re: [cg] Save the Dowling Community Garden
- From: Adam36055@aol.com
- Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 11:33:23 EDT
I'll be sending of e-mails to the folks listed on your list, I hope people from all over the country send messages in re this historic community garden.
1) I'm also thinking, going forward, that you might want to contact the Trust for Public Land in your area, because of TPL's history of purchasing land for land trust community gardens in NYC as well as the historical significance of a community garden that started off as a Victory Garden in World War II. As a 60 year old community garden with that heritage, it might just be up TPL's alley.
Here is the national TPL link: TPL
This is the address of you local TPL office:
Midwest Office Address
Midwest Regional Office
2610 University Ave., Suite 300
St. Paul, MN 55114
FAX (651) 917-2248
E-mail Media Contact
(651) 917-2240A complete TPL office list is found in the
About TPL section of this website.
2) As one of the last victory gardens extant, and a community garden, the Dowling might pique the interest of you local NPR station, which could also lead to national coverage of the story. Try your local affilliates.
3) Maybe you should contact your local Veterans of Foreign Wars. Some old vets might show up in support of an old victory garden.
Please let out-of-towners know if there's anything else you think we can do for the Dowling.
Clinton Community Garden
Subj: [cg] Save the Dowling Community Garden
Date: 9/2/03 9:50:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time
Sent from the Internet
Some of you will get multiple copies of this message. My apologies.
It's worth your time.
The Minneapolis School Board will vote September 30 on a proposal to
build a new middle school on the site of the Dowling Community Garden.
The Dowling Community Garden was established as a "Victory Garden" in
1943, and celebrated its 60th anniversary this year. We know of only
one garden in the United States - Fenway Gardens in Boston - that has
been continually used as a community garden longer than Dowling. Dowling
is a historically valuable and unique green space asset that cannot be
replaced. The garden serves more than 200 gardeners, plus dog-walkers,
families with children, and others.
Please show your support for the Dowling Community Garden.
1. Contact Minneapolis Schools Superintendent Carol Johnson BEFORE
SEPTEMBER 9 (when the board presents the proposal) and let her know that
the garden is important. Carol.firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Contact Minneapolis City Council Member Sandra Colvin Roy at the
City's web site
3. Contact Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak email@example.com
4. Attend the School Board's informational meetings:
Wednesday, Sept 10
Ann Sullivan Communications Center
3100 28th Street East, Minneapolis
Monday, September 15
South High School
3131 19th Avenue South, Minneapolis
5. Attend the public hearing on this issue:
Tuesday, September 16
807 Broadway Ave Northeast, Minneapolis
6. Help the good people at Dowling Community Garden to spread the word:
Visit the Dowling Community Garden web site
Here is an article from the Minneapolis StarTribune describing the
Also, a letter to the Editor from August 28 (scroll down a bit)
Here you'll find contact information for school board members:
Some historical information about Victory Gardens:
Also, feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.
Corrie Zoll, Program Director
A program of The Green Institute
2801 21st Avenue South, Suite 110
Minneapolis, MN 55407