National Geographic Two Page Portland Community Garden Photo - 09/03 Issue

  • Subject: [cg] National Geographic Two Page Portland Community Garden Photo - 09/03 Issue
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 08:47:01 EDT

As I don't travel much these days, and try to avoid the television as much as I can, much of what I learn about the world outside of Manhattan Island is gleaned from  print and the Internet.  For me, 'National Geographic' remains essential reading - a source of vivid reportage not usually carried in  US media.

This morning, on the "throne", I started to glance through the September 2003  issue which covers an amazing expose on 21st Century Slaves, Zebras ( featured on the front ), Peruvian Mummies, Gabon Parks, Undersea Lab, Iraq and....starting on page 120, Portland, OR.

For those who haven't opened up a National Geographic for a while, the magazine has been running a series of US features listed by zip codes, called 'Zip USA'.

This month's 'Zip USA'  is Portland, Or 97210 - The article is called "Solace in the City" By Kevin Kranck; Photographs by Maria Setnzel.  You can imagine pleasure at seeing, spread over pages 120 and 121 a photo showing  young "Portlander Ranger Hughes  soaking up sun with his crop [i]n a community garden beside Forest Park - 'The city's saving grace,' he says, 'or at least part of it.'" The rest of the article talks about "The City of Roses", as Portland is called, in a very pleasant article.

This is, I believe the second time that National Geographic has photographed a community garden, and I wanted you all to know how to access it.  Currently, I  do not believe this image  is accessible on-line.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman
Clinton Community Garden