Saving ripening pumpkins

  • Subject: [cg] Saving ripening pumpkins
  • From: "Sharon Gordon" gordonse@one.net
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 09:42:57 -0400

On another list I am on people have reported theft of ripening pumpkins from
their community garden plots.  Others chimed in that they have reduced the
loss of their pumkins by lightly covering them with straw and/or rhubarb
leaves with the object being to make the orange color nonvisable from afar.

Another person mentioned that there is a group called  the Pumpkin
Liberation Army which may have been involved.
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_435348.html

There doesn't seem to be any sort of awareness that the pumpkins grown for
halloween usually taste terrible.  In fact I have not yet been able to
convince(due to language issues we don't have enough words in common for me
to convey the info about the differences in the two kinds of pumpkins) some
of the new to the US gardeners at our local community garden that the US has
pumpkins that taste really good.  They have tried growing and eating the
halloween sort.

Sharon
gordonse@one.net