Re: Making a living at community gardening

  • Subject: [cg] Re: Making a living at community gardening
  • From: Jeneva Storme jenevastorme@yahoo.ca
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 11:41:26 -0400 (EDT)

I currently make my living in a job related to
community gardening, as "greening coordinator" for my
neighbourhood's non-profit community development
corporation.  I coordinate gardening and greening
efforts throughout the neighbourhood, including
composting, treebanding, encouraging native habitat,
etc.  My position is seasonal, full time in the
summer, 1/4 time in the fall and winter, and 1/2 time
in early spring, if funding permits.  I have to secure
funding for my program each year, so there is never
any guarantee that I will still have a position come
next season.  We have been largely funded by an
organization called "Neighbourhoods Alive!" which is
designed to help certain targeted inner-city
neighbourhoods revitalize themselves.  Our website at
http://www.westbroadway.mb.ca/index.html has more
information on the various programs that the
corporation runs.  I need to update the greening page,
we've just had the grand opening of a new community
garden, play area and green space that has been three
years in the design and implementation.

So there are folks making some kind of living involved
with community gardening, though to be frank, I'm stil
living below the poverty line.  Beats working at
McDonald's, though.

Shade and Sweet Water,
Jeneva Storme

Greening West Broadway Coordinator
"Neighbourhood Solutions for Community Change"

West Broadway Development Corporation
640 Broadway, Winnipeg, MB  R3C 0X3
phone: 774-3534  fax: 779-2203
website: http://www.westbroadway.mb.ca