The World's Fair Bench

  • Subject: [cg] The World's Fair Bench
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 11:08:34 EDT

The style of bench that we use at the Clinton Community Garden, and used in large swathes of Central Park is the "World's Fair Bench," a very sturdy cast iron bench that can be moved around by two people, if you desire, or riveted down on a concrete base.

They come in various lengths, and here are some websites for manufacturers. I prefer the cast iron to the painted stainless steel for both aesthetics and durability, but folks like both.

This is the original 1939 World's Fair bench in different lengths.  They are more expensive than the links below, but they are absolutely indestructable and serve wonderfully for decades with virtually no upkeep. We have these in the CCG, which when we bought them, albeit,  were cheaper but have lasted for over 20 years with daily use in all weather.

Adam Honigman
Clinton Community Garden

Subj: [cg] Need tips on installing and purchasing park benches