RE: garden size - smallest?

In Cleveland our requirement for community gardening is based on number of people not size.  There must be at least 5 people from different households involved at any size space.  One of our community gardens was just a number of containers on the 7th floor patio of a senior housing/activities complex.  The emphasis was on the fact that people did this together (communal effort) and were exposed to growing vegetable plants.  The garden has since disbanded though we would still allow and welcome a garden such as this to enter our program.

love the discussions on this list serve - I catalog many of them for future reference!

thanks, Lynn Gregor

At 03:09 PM 09/13/2004 -0400, Fred Conrad wrote:
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:st1 = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags">
hey, I think we have one smaller than that.  at the Capitol Avenue Senior Tower they removed asphalt from two parking spaces and created a four bed community garden.  i think it's about 16 by 12 feet.  it's a very nice garden, but the waiting list is awful.
-----Original Message-----
From: community_garden-admin@mallorn.com [mailto:community_garden-admin@mallorn.com]On Behalf Of Bill Maynard
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2004 1:32 PM
To: community_garden@mallorn.com
Subject: [cg] garden size - smallest?

On the other hand&.gardens come in all sizes&you don t need large acreage for a community garden!
Wanted you all to know that Sacramento is about to approve (while I am at the ACGA Conference) a very small community garden inside a small city park in the heart of the downtown area& the overall size of the garden is 40x60 and there will be
8 10x10 plots and 2 10x10 plots with ADA accessible raised beds&and a common area / compost area&there will be room for expansion around the initial site for about another 12-15 plots in the future& the Garden is set to open in june 2005
Looking forward to the Toronto Conference&there is still time to make your room reservations and there are still some great fall airfares specials out there as well !
Bill Maynard

Lynn Gregor
Program Coordinator
Community Gardening
Ohio State University Extension, Cuyahoga Co.