RE: Food grade container water storage in winter

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Food grade container water storage in winter
  • From: "Alliums" garlicgrower@green-logic.com
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 16:58:20 -0400

Hi, Sharon!

Just wanted to say that we also use the 55 gallon vinegar barrels, we get
nasty frost, but as long as the barrels aren't stored completely full with
water (since the water will freeze and if it has space to go up, it will and
the barrel will be fine -- otherwise, the barrel breaks), they will last for

We got ours from a local salad dressing maker -- any company that receives
food in 55 gallon barrels is more than happy to give you the barrel
afterwards since otherwise, THEY have to pay to have it recycled.  We've
hooked ours up to the gutters on our two sheds -- you need about 2 barrels
per inch of rain, but if it does rain, you get great water for your plants
and don't have to use the hose nearly as often.

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of