Third world conditions

  • Subject: [cg] Third world conditions
  • From: Minifarms@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 22:44:22 EDT

GARDENS/MINI-FARMS  NETWORK
USA: TX,  MS,  FL,  CA,  AR,  NM;   Mexico, Rep. Dominicana, CC4tC)  dbIvoire,
Nigeria,
Nicaragua, Honduras, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Haiti, England, India,
Uzbekistan

Workshops  in organic, no-till, permanent-bed gardening, mini-farming,
mini-ranching  worldwide in English &  Spanish

Listserve members,

I learned last week in private emails with some of you that many are  working
in the inter-city with conditions similiar to what I encounter in  developing
countries. Those conditions are more and more evident in this  country.

If people do not have running water, they can use a bucket drip irrigation
kit.  Cost is $12 or I can tell you about the DIY drip line.  Have to  carry 5
gallons of water per day to each 100 feet of vegetables.  Two drip  kits will
grow enough vegetables for a family of seven [Kenya] with no rain [dry
season].

If people need transportation and will  use a bicyle, I can tell them  how to
make a bicycle trailer for passengers [taxi?], family, cargo, selling,  etc.

I take many seed to my workshops and the one that gets the most interest is
spaghetti squash.  All like spaghetti but some can not afford to buy  it.
Sweet corn for roasting ears.  Grain is easy to grow.

A solar cooker will cook their food.  Make one from cardboard boxes,  piece
of glass and glue.

People need to use no-till. No digging. No cultivating.  No hard  physical
work is needed so the elderly, children and lazy people! can  garden.

The city of Lubbock tax office will let people garden, free, on lots  that
have been taken for taxes. I want to see the people living in the  inter-city
farming that land as cooperatives or privately or whatever.

If you have any questions, I am glad to  help.