Looking for CG News & Ideas re: Gulf Coast

  • Subject: [cg] Looking for CG News & Ideas re: Gulf Coast
  • From: "Amanda M. Edmonds" amanda@growinghope.net
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 20:25:49 -0400

Hello--

I'm glad to know Jeannie Abi-Nader and family are safe... I don't
personally know any others in the community garden world on the Gulf
Coast, and I presume that restoring gardens will be of secondary
importance after basic needs for shelter and water and such are met.
Once that happens, though, I'm assuming food security in these
communities will be an ongoing and growing concern, as people have lost
financial resources, jobs, etc that let them stock their pantries.  I
understand the America's Second Harvest is playing a big role in
emergency food assistance, but want to figure out how best to catalyze
community gardeners elsewhere to think about how best we can help
eventually restore.  I'd like input from all of you on the role ACGA
can play in these efforts.  Please send a message to the list with your
thoughts.

I would love to be in touch with gardeners and garden leaders from the
Gulf Coast, though I imagine many are still displaced or occupied with
find family and restoring basic needs.  If anyone can connect me,
please do.

Maybe a Relief Seed Bank would be a place to start?  We work with a
family from Niger here in Michigan, and as the mom took a trip back
last month to her mother's village in rural Niger, we sent lots of
extra veggie seeds with her.  She said that most people in the villages
were literally starving (the current famine in Niger has only received
marginal press here), and to imagine that these seeds could literally
be their only food source was humbling about how a little could do a
lot.  I could imagine with a little effort from gardeners all over, we
could get seeds of plenty to that region of the country.

I've been exploring web sites of many of the grassroots groups in New
Orleans who are contributing to relief efforts-- those may be some
organizations to partner with for whatever effort is appropriate and
what is most needed to restore gardens and hope throughout the Gulf.
Is anyone familiar with any one of them?

Looking forward to hearing people's ideas.

Best,
Amanda
(ACGA Board Member in Michigan)

Amanda Maria Edmonds
Executive Director, Growing Hope
amanda@growinghope.net
734.330.7576

"We must be the change we wish to see in the world."
"To forget to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget
ourselves."
					-Mahatma Ghandi