RE: Looking for CG News & Ideas re: Gulf Coast

  • Subject: [cg] RE: Looking for CG News & Ideas re: Gulf Coast
  • From: "Alliums" garlicgrower@green-logic.com
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 08:12:18 -0400

Hi, Folks!

I agree with Libby that before we start sending seeds, Gulf Coast gardeners
need to know that the land that they are planting on isn't a toxic mess that
is only going to give them more problems down the line.

This list contains lots of people that know plenty about looking for
toxins/contaminants in soil and remediating and/or getting the funding to
get the lead out (bad pun, but appropriate).  I think our best bet is to
help folks find out if their land is safe for growing and if not, how to
remediate/advocate for clean land so that they can grow truly healthy food
for their community.

All of us are awash with seeds and can send pounds at a moment's notice.
Let's help the Gulf Coast have clean land for growing first, then send seeds
when we know we aren't going to be contributing to people's health problems.

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of