Re: Re:Contaminated soil.......

Interesting - now we will begin to build a body of
folk-data about what plants will grow in contaminated
soil - along the same lines as to what weeds growing
in a field tell about the nutrients in that soil (or
lack of nutrients).  We already have some
folk-evidence that point towards plants that are
effacious on certain contaminants - it's a shame that
we'll need to build this body of information, but I
believe we, those who till the land, will HAVE to be
the ones to do it.

I'll put it on my calendar for Wednesday next.  You?

david

--- "Libby J. Goldstein" <libby@igc.org> wrote:

> > Friends,
> >
> > Key to all of this will be knowing what cocktail
> of toxins pollutes
> > each
> > particular stretch of Katrina flooded land.  The
> chemical,
> > bio-chemical work on
> > identifying what will remain as the floods recede
> is pretty daunting.
> >
> Well, we already know that EPA is not going to give
> anyone that
> information. They haven't even been testing for
> petrochemicals. So is
> there anything we or folk that we know can do about
> getting the
> information?
>
> Libby

> The American Community Gardening Association
> listserve is only one of ACGA's services to
> community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA
> and to find out how to join, please go to
> http://www.communitygarden.org
>

> To post an e-mail to the list:
> community_garden@mallorn.com
>
> To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your
> subscription:

David King, Garden Master
  The Learning Garden
  www.thelearninggarden.org
  office  310.722.3656

 A garden, where one may enter in and forget the whole world,
 cannot be made in a week, nor a month, nor a year; it must
 be planned for, waited for and loved into being.

 Chinese Proverb