Re: Jumbo marigold

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Jumbo marigold
  • From: Steve Diver steved@ncat.org
  • Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 13:58:11 -0500

Well congratulations on that 13-foot marigold!!

At first my mind read that you had 3-foot African
marigolds and 13-inch bedding type marigolds.

Africans can get 3-4 feet high and they are
fun to grow. Market gardeners raise these
for long-stem and showy cut flowers.

But that 13-foot monster *without* flowers
sounds like Mexican Marigold, also called
nematicidal marigold, Tagetes minuta....... or
one of the species marigolds.

Seeds of Change sells seed for Nematicidal
Marigold, because Tagetes minuta has indeed
been grown for nematode suppression. But
T. minuta is a noxious weed in California because
these plants re-seed prolifically and it is well
adapted to California's climate.

Tagetes minuta normally grows about 5-8 feet
in height. It has a very long growing season
(110-120 days) before flowering, and the
flowers are inconspicuous, yellow tubular.

I'd be curious to find out if you came across
an odd marigold species, such as those sold
by J.L. Hudson Seedsman.
I've grown Tagetes minuta and the tallest
ones got about 8-9 feet.

Please send me a note if you find out something
more, because I'm definitely interested in growing
a 13-foot marigold. That would make an interesting
screen or background hedge.

Hey, on third reading the larger leaves sound like
you may be growing kenaf, Hibiscus cannabinus.

Different varieties of kenaf express different morphological
leaf characteristics; one variety is palmate and has been
confused as marijuana leaf by "sheriff's deputies".

Steve Diver
Northwest Arkansas

elizabeth hall wrote:

Is this normal, or should I contact the state fair?:
We planted a few varieties of marigolds around some tomato plants in an urban community garden this summer.Some of the jumbos are about 3 feet tall and another is 13 feet tall and growing.The leaves look the same, only larger and prehistoric by comparison. There aren't any blooms on it.It's definately not a sunflower. We're fairly new to this, so it's been fun watching it grow. Any thoughts?