From: Natl. Campaign for Sustainable Agriculture (by way of Debbie Ortman
<safefood@cp.duluth.mn.us <mailto:safefood@cp.duluth.mn.us> >)
<campaign@magiccarpet.com <mailto:campaign@magiccarpet.com> >
To: Recipient list suppressed <Recipient list suppressed>
Date: Saturday, September 11, 1999 8:10 AM
Subject: TERMINATOR ALERT PLEASE COPY AND DISTRIBUTE TO YOUR NETWORKS

URGENT ACTION NEEDED

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE IS AT IT AGAIN!!
AGENCY CONTINUES TO FUND TERMINATOR TECHNOLOGY

TELL USDA TO STOP ITS ONGOING SUPPORT OF NEW RESEARCH ON
TERMINATOR/TRAITOR TECHNOLOGIES.
USE PUBLIC DOLLARS FOR PUBLIC SECTOR RESEARCH

Despite widespread opposition to USDA's involvement with Terminator
technology, the agency continues to use taxpayer dollars to support genetic
seed sterilization. Controversy over the Terminator technology has generated
an avalanche of public opposition. USDA is blatantly ignoring the public
outcry. A new patent reveals that USDA funding supports additional
Terminator research at Purdue University (Indiana).

WRITE, PHONE, OR FAX SECRETARY DAN GLICKMAN
USDA, 200A Whitten Bldg., 1400 Independence Ave., SW. Washington, DC 20250
Phone: 202-720-3631; Fax: 202-720-2166

Tell him to stop using USDAs scarce public research dollars to pursue a
dangerous, antifarmer technology that threatens biodiversity. Tell him that
USDA must:

** Abandon all research on genetic seed sterilization.
** Develop a policy prohibiting the use of public research dollars on
Terminator technologies
** Use public research dollars to support plant breeding for sustainable
agriculture

Terminator is a controversial technology that has generated worldwide
protest and debate because it renders farm saved seed sterile forcing
farmers to return to the commercial seed market every year. If
commercialized, it will threaten global food security and endanger
biodiversity. The original Terminator patent is jointly owned by the US
Department of Agriculture and a Monsanto subsidiary, Delta & Pine Land Co.

The notorious Terminator patent is just the tip of the iceberg. There are
dozens of new patents describing a wide range of techniques that can be used
for the genetic sterilization of plants and seeds. Every major seed and
agrochemical enterprise is developing its own version of suicide seeds.
These technologies are extremely dangerous because they will erode farmer
control and decision making in agriculture and increase dependence on a
handful of giant agrochemical corporations. Over 1.4 billion people,
primarily poor farmers in Africa, Asia, and Latin America depend on
farmsaved seed as their primary seed source. If they can't save seed, they
can't continue to adapt crops to their unique farming environment. The new
generation of patents goes beyond the genetic neutering of crops. The
patents reveal that multinational agrochemical and seed corporations are
developing suicide seeds whose genetic traits can be turned on and off by an
external chemical inducer triggered by the company's patented agrochemicals.
In the notsodistant future, we may see farmers planting seeds that will
develop into productive crops only if sprayed with a carefully prescribed
regimen that includes the company's proprietary pesticide, fertilizer, or
herbicide -- the TRAITOR technologies.

With Traitor technologies, farmers will be forced to surrender control of
their seed supply and the Gene Giants will ultimately dictate what the
farmer grows, how to grow it, and where to sell it. Seed sterility is not
about insuring quality of productivity, it's a power grab pure and simple,
and tax dollars should not go to support the development of these
technologies.

For detailed analyses of Terminator and Traitor technologies, see websites:
<http://www.rafi.org/>www.rafi.org & <http://www.ucsusa.org/>www.ucsusa.org

Sample letter to protest the Terminator Technology:

Please copy this letter to your representatives in Congress.

Secretary Dan Glickman
USDA
200-A Whitten Bldg.
1400 Independence Ave., SW
Washington, DC 20250
Email: agsec@usda.gov
Fax: (202) 720-3631

Dear Secretary Glickman:

I oppose the use of taxpayer money to develop Terminator technology a
genetic technology that renders farm-saved seed sterile. I urgently call on
USDA to adopt a policy that will prevent the use of public funds (either
through grants or in-house research) to support genetic seed sterilization.

I am writing to ask that the USDA immediately cease negotiations to
license the Terminator technology to a Monsanto subsidiary (Delta and
Pine Land Co.). I urge the USDA to abandon its worldwide patent
applications on this immoral and dangerous technology.

The Terminator technology is a dead-end for farmers and a threat to
food security worldwide. I respectfully urge you to stop funding Terminator
technology and cease negotiations for its commercial development.

Sincerely,

Your Name

----

RAFI-USA
Rural Advancement Foundation International
P.O. Box 640, 21 Hillsboro St.
Pittsboro, NC 27312 USA
Ph: 919-542-1396; Fax: 919-542-0069
<http://www.rafiusa.org/>www.rafiusa.org

PLEASE CONTACT THE NATIONAL CAMPAIGN FOR FORMATTED OR HARD COPY

National Campaign for Sustainable Agriculture
P.O. Box 396
Pine Bush, New York 12566
Phone: 914-744-8448
Fax: 914-744-8477
emamil: campaign@magiccarpet.com
<http://www.sustainableagriculture.net/>www.SustainableAgriculture.net
If you would like to join our (free) Action Alert Network, please email us
your name, address, phone, fax, and email.