Dryopteris sieboldii

  • Subject: [ferns] Dryopteris sieboldii
  • From: Hal or Nancy Robinson robyn82@bellsouth.net
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 13:18:41 -0400

Alan, mine is growing in deep shade, moist, acid sand and lots of
compost.  The plant does not even look like a fern because of the large
fronds.  I really did not expect it to live so only planted one plant
out in the garden and one in the greenhouse.  Now, both are out in the
fern area next to the creek.  I have been mulching with fine pine bark
chips and have not had to water this fern after establishing it.
I hope you have good luck with this plant because in a large clump it is
beautiful but then I find all ferns are beautiful except the ones that
do not like our winters here in Tennessee.
Nancy Robinson
-10 to 100 degrees F
close to the Smoky Mountains Park