Re: Aquatic fern question

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Aquatic fern question
  • From: Riley2362@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 14:12:51 EDT

I grow Bolbitis heteroclita completely submerged in an indoor shallow pool
with medium to low light.  Cultural instructions from someplace once indicated
good water circulation so I have always provided that.  I have one rooted in
lava rock and another simply stuck through a hole in a piece of coral to weight
it down and both do equally well.  The rhizome grows horizontally, so it is
not going to stay "potted" for very long.  The fronds rise to the surface of the
water, but never above.  My pools also contain goldfish that provide the
fertilization and have done little more than occasionally nibble on the leaf tips,
they prefer the shelter of the fern over any other plants.  The PH of the
water is about 7.2.
Michael Riley